Our Relationship With Technology

Growing up in the generation of technology, using devices has always been a usual part of our
daily lives and I could not imagine it any other way. My generation was the last to use flip
phones and I even remember getting my very first iPhone and how excited I was. My two older
sisters, who are a part of the millennial generation, did not grow up with technology the way
that I did. Because of that, we tend to treat technology differently. For example, I use my phone
much more often than they do and I am also very much more present in the social media
community. I check my social media accounts every few hours, if not hourly, while they only
check there's a few times a day at most. They always tell me that I am on my phone too much
and that my relationship with my phone is unhealthy, but I don’t think it is. Compared to some of
my friends and other people my age I am considered to barely be on my phone at all. 

SMARTPHONE ADDICTION: Women more prone than men, study finds



The reason I check my social media so often is because it is how I keep connected with my
friends when I am not with them. I get to see where they are, what they’re doing, and we can
have conversations as if it were face to face. I know this is different than how it used to be
generations ago, but I think it is because simply this is how society is now. Unfortunately for us,
we do connect through the phone more often than we do in person, even if it is not my preferred
way of interacting. As I said before, I believe this is just because of the societal norm for us. It is
not only my generation, but all ages are now using social media accounts and interacting with
one another over the phone. In Bob O'Donnell's article, The Changing Relationship Between
People and Technology, he talks about the facts that face to face interaction is decreasing. He
claims, “Most people are creatures of habit and once they get comfortable interacting with
devices, applications or services, they’re not overly eager to change”. What O’Donnell is saying
here is that we have become accustomed to this way of life and even though we are becoming
aware of our technology overuse, we still do not want to change what has become so normal
for us. I do not believe technology is bad at all- I actually think it is one of the greatest inventions
in human history. What I do believe is that technology has severely changed our societal norms
and the chances of reverting the damage is very slim. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Online Presence

How Technology & Social Media Has Affected Our Society

Diffusion of Innovations